Saturday, November 3, 2012

Dear Billy Collins

Dear Billy Collins.
My name is Charles J. Quinn and I want to spend the rest of my life in poetry.
Your poem about the mouse with the match is my favorite.
I got your books from audible and have played them so often and so loud I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbors could quote them
I am writing letters to much admired authors and poets when I feel overwhelmed and confused. Yours is the first such letter I have written.

What if I am not good enough?
Alright I have bought a bunch of books and they all say good writing is not written but rewritten with skill and mental tools. But what if I put all this effort into learning and practicing but still end up just average?
Can earnest determination fail?
Will I just look stupid for trying this hard at all?
Ours is not a fair world.
I am determined to continue.
The first word of my epitaph shall say "poet".
Even if it is followed by "not a very good one".
Thank you for being my stress sounding board.
Charlie
Youtube.com/charlieisagirl
Charlieisagirl.blogspot.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment